Posts Tagged ‘Headlice’
- Published on Monday, 09 September 2013 09:54
- 0 Comments
Hedrin – Giving You the Heads Up on Head Lice
Though the weather is still delightful, unfortunately for the children of Ireland summer has come to a close as they have all returned to school but it may not just be books that they are carrying. Head lice outbreaks are a common occurrence at the beginning of the school year with young children being in such close proximity to each other when playing it’s not just the common cold and chicken pox that can spread so too can the dreaded head lice.
If you have the misfortune to find lice, don’t worry or be embarrassed. Head lice are a normal part of childhood – nearly one in 10 primary school children could have head lice at any one time. Parents know what a hassle it is to treat head lice and just how frustrating it can be when your child comes home scratching their head yet again.
Anyone can get head lice although they are most common amongst children aged 4-11 who spend more time in close contact with friends and siblings. The best known symptom is itching but this is not the best indicator as many people may not itch with lice at all. Leaving lice untreated can lead to a loss of self esteem and confidence and a general feeling of being unwell.
Today, (Monday 9th September 2013), ClonMedica are bringing a quick and stress free solution to head lice by launching two new products to their Hedrin range which already includes the excellent Hedrin Once Spray. The Hedrin range will now include:
- Hedrin Once – A fast acting solution that takes only 15 minutes to work
- Hedrin Treat & Go – a fuss-free solution great for children that just want to get out and play
- Hedrin Protect & Go – Simple and pleasant to use. Protects against ever getting head lice infections
These products are each proven to be highly effective at killing and protecting against head lice, but specially formulated to suit different preferences and lifestyles.
TV3’s Sybil Mulcahy Ambassador for ClonMedica said of the new range “It’s every parent’s nightmare, even though you shouldn’t be embarrassed about head lice you still are. My kids had a bout of the pesky head lice during the summer and with a quick dose of Hedrin Once there was no fuss and no discomfort for the kids and it was bye bye head lice”.
“I now find myself checking my kids heads every week – I think everyone should once a week take a peek to ensure you catch those eggs before they hatch because I am terrified that they would spread to me!”, Sybil continued.
Hedrin Treat and Go promises a fuss free solution that’s great for children that just want to get out and play. A water based treatment which rinses out of hair easily, without any greasy residue and when dry, remains on the child’s hair while they play, go to school or sleep. Requiring just two applications (eight hours or overnight) seven days apart, Hedrin Treat and Go is available in spray and mousse
Hedrin Protect and Go promises protection from head lice that is simple and easy to use. You simply apply after every hair wash (or at least twice a week). It is gentle with a mild detangling formula protects and conditions along with a fruity, orange and mango fragrance that leaves hair smelling fresh. Hedrin is fast with a simple spray on and leave in action whilst clinically proven to give protection when the threat of head lice appears and is designed for regular long term use.
Martin Gallagher, Director of Marketing and Business Development, ClonMedica said of the new products, “We, at ClonMedica, are delighted by the new additions to our exciting range of head lice treatment products that will ensure that head lice are dealt with quickly and efficiently. Hedrin Treat & Go is clinically proven to be highly effective at killing head lice and eggs. Hedrin Protect & Go offers great protection against head lice and should be a must for every home.”
To help further educate parents and teachers on this pesky problem, ClonMedica have developed www.onceaweektakeapeek.ie website full of handy hints and tips and also puts an end to all those myths by stating the facts including the one that only dirty children get head lice the fact is head lice are not fussy they can easily live in a dirty environment or a clean one, so having head lice has nothing to do with personal hygiene
All of the Hedrin range are available nationwide in all good pharmacies with recommended retail prices as follows.
- Hedrin Once Spray Gel 100ml RRP €14.15
- Hedrin Treat & Go Lotion Spray 60 ml RRP €9.69
- Hedrin Treat & Go Mousse 100ml RRP €15.69
- Hedrin Protect & Go Spray 120 ml RRP €5.35
- Hedrin Protect & Go Spray 200ml RRP €7.75
So just remember: Once a Week, Take a Peek!
Parents can fight the spread of head lice by working together:
- Check your family’s hair for lice regularly – once a week is ideal!
- Visit your local pharmacist for guidance on the various treatments available
- Get treatment for you or your family as soon as you find live lice
- Let your friends and family know as soon as you’ve found live lice
- Ask your school, childcare centre, crèche and activity groups to let you know about head lice outbreaks as soon as they’re discovered
So remember Once A Week, Take A Peek!
How Do You Find Head Lice?
To diagnose a case of head lice you need to find them alive. This is when you need to use a treatment. They move fast and are small.
Sizing Up Head Lice
Head lice range in size from a full stop to a sesame seed.
Where to Peek
- Close to the scalp
- Behind the ears
- The back of the neck
- The top of the head
- Under the fringe
What to Peek for
- Adult lice are 2-4 mm long immature lice are even smaller
- Live lice remain close to the scalp
- Nits are dead or empty egg shells – simply remove these by hand or by combing
How to check
- Checking for head lice shouldn’t be considered a big deal, it is just a normal part of a family’s personal hygiene routine like brushing teeth or washing hair
- It is best to check for head lice using a comb made for the purpose, ideally white so they can be easily seen and with teeth no more than 0.3mm apart in order to trap head lice
- Combing through the hair when wet, or after applying a conditioner, may make the process more comfortabl
- Good lighting is important and so is comfort
How to get rid of head lice?
There are FOUR types of head lice treatment:
- Pesticide lotions and liquids
- Non-pesticide lotions
- Wet combing with conditioner (Bug Busting)
- Alternative treatments (herbal remedies etc)
ClonMedica, the OTC division of Clonmel Healthcare Ltd., is a pharmaceutical marketing and distribution company founded in 1970 which is currently owned by the German Healthcare Group Stada. Clonmel Healthcare has two locations in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary and its Sales and Marketing office in Dublin.
Clonmel Healthcare currently has a large portfolio of products covering three business units; Prescription medicines, Speciality or High Tech Medicines and the ClonMedica Consumer Division. The ClonMedica product range focuses on the three main areas; women’s and babies health, skincare and pain management.